How to change your name after a divorce

On Behalf of | Jun 29, 2018 | Divorce

After you file for a divorce, you will probably want to change your name to reflect the change in marital status. While topics on the divorce process are usually well-versed, the process of changing names after a divorce is generally a less discussed topic.

If you changed your name to include that of your spouse when you got married, in theory it should be quite easy to have it changed back. You only need to make this request in front of the divorce court judge in order to restore your name back to what it was before you got married.

I got my divorce finalized without requesting a name change. What can I do?

If you failed to request a change of name before the divorce became finalized, you will need to look into the possibility of having the court order changed to include this clause. This may be possible after the finalization of your divorce.

Even if the name change request is not included in your finalized divorce, you will likely still have options to restore your former name. Any documentation such as a passport or drivers’ license can serve as evidence of your former name, and this will mean that you will be able to restore it through other state methods.

If you are having trouble restoring or changing your name after a divorce, it is important that you take action to consider your options in achieving your name change. With the right assistance, you should have no problem in making a successful name change.